20 May 2010

Review of Sunrise in the West the first book of The Brothers of Gwynedd by Edith Pargeter

This is the first novel in the four novels that comprise The Brothers of Gwynedd. It is a story about Welsh princes, in the 1200's. The story is narrated by Sampson, who is the illegitimate son of one of the ladies maids in the Griffin family who the eldest son is Llewelynn. Sampson is born on the same day as Llewellynn and they become friends. The story tells how this family unites Wales against King Henry III of England. This is a novel that is very hard to read in my opinion, way to wordy to describe what is happening. I am hoping that the next novel gets a bit easier to read. I do have to say that it appears that these four books are very well researched and it is interesting to find out more about the Welsh history. Pronouncing the names is very difficult. I hope that the finished book will have a reading guide and maybe a list of names and pronunciations of those names. I do intend to continue on with this book as I really hate to not finish a book that will most likely turn out to be good.

The Brothers of Gwynedd: The Legend of the First True Prince of WalesThis novel was previously released in the 70's and it was four separate books:
Sunrise in the West (1974)
The Dragon at Noonday (1975)
The Hounds of Sunset (1976)
Afterglow and Nightfall (1977)


Sunrise in the West (Brothers of Gwynedd, Book 1)The Dragon at Noonday (Brothers of Gwynedd, Vol 2)The Hounds of Sunset (The Brothers of Gwynedd, 3)Afterglow and Nightfall (Brothers of Gwynedd)

1 comment:

  1. I am really struggling with this and I also hate not finishing a book. Again. It seems Book two cannot be read without finishing Book One, and there is zero chance of me finishing book one.. I worry.

    ReplyDelete

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet