21 November 2013

A Secondhand Murder by Lesley Diehl Review for Partners in Crime Tours!

A Secondhand Murder

by Lesley Diehl

on Tour October 1 - November 30, 2013


Book Details:

Genre: Cozy Mystery Published by: Camel Press Publication Date: 9/15/2013 Number of Pages: 260 ISBN: 978-1-60381-935-0 Purchase Links:

Synopsis:

Spunky and outspoken Eve Appel moves from Connecticut to rural Florida intent on starting a new life, free of drama, and more importantly, her soon-to-be ex-husband. The rural Florida town of Sabal Bay, situated only an hour from West Palm, proves to be the perfect spot for her consignment store. Thanks to the recent economic downturn, Florida’s society matrons need a place to discreetly sell their stuff and pick up expensive-looking bargains. But Eve’s life, and her business with it, is turned upside down when a wealthy customer is found stabbed to death in a fitting room. As accusations fly and business slows, Eve decides to take things into her own hands. With the help of an unlikely bunch of friends—including her estranged ex, her best friend, a handsome private eye, and a charming mafia don—she struggles to find answers and save lives. Through a maze of distorted half-truths, dramatic cover-ups, and unrequited passions, Eve learns just how far the wealthy will go to regain what they have lost. A Secondhand Murder is Book 1 of the Eve Appel Mysteries Series.

Read an excerpt:

It was still early so I strode back into the restaurant, indicated to the hostess I wanted a booth and ordered the breakfast buffet. Anger paired with disbelief gave me a hearty appetite. Returning to my booth after loading my plate with eggs, bacon, pancakes, pastries and a slice of toast, I noticed someone had joined me for breakfast. He was seated with his back to me as I approached the booth but I recognized the sun-streaked hair curling over his collar. My favorite PI. I almost dropped my plate. “Hi.” I tried for nonchalant but sounded more like a hormone-addled teenager. “Saw you come in. I guess you had an early morning chitchat with the local gendarmes.” “To be continued this afternoon at the station.” “Fingerprints?” He stirred a packet of sugar into his coffee. “Nope.” The tingle in my tummy was more than simple hunger for food. I tried to satisfy it by stuffing a large forkful of pancake into my mouth. I nodded and swallowed. “Like anyone would be dumb enough to leave their prints.” “Certainly, we know you’re smart.” “I had no reason to kill Mrs. Sanders. That would be like killing the golden goose.” “You didn’t like her very much, did you?” I dropped my fork on the plate. “What do you mean? I hardly knew the woman.” “So you say, but my sources indicate that’s not the whole story.” He stared at me. Last night I thought those azure eyes looked inviting. Now they looked more like ice. He smiled. “You said you were investigating Mrs. Sanders. Sounds like you’re trying to nose into my affairs. Why?” “Don’t get mad. I’m not accusing you of murder, you know.” He took a sip of coffee. “I’m not mad.” I was a little miffed, peeved even, but not really mad. Okay, I was mad. “Oh yes you are, and when you get angry, you stick your chin out and turn your head ever so slightly to the right. Your cheek twitches, probably from clenching your teeth. Did you know that?” I had lost my appetite. I grabbed my purse and slid out of the booth. “I don’t recall inviting you to join me for breakfast. I just remembered I have an important appointment.” “That would be ...?” He also stood. “That would be none of your business.” I stalked out of the restaurant, then remembered as I approached my car that I had forgotten to pay my bill. Damn. Now I’d have to go back in there and face him again. I gritted my teeth, stuck out my chin and slammed through the door. He turned from the counter, credit card in hand. “Don’t worry about it. I got it. Your treat next time.” “There won’t be a next time.” I spun around and pushed open the door. By the time he reached his car, I was already starting my engine, wondering what the man knew about Mrs. Sanders and me.

Author Bio:

Lesley retired from her life as a professor of psychology and reclaimed her country roots by moving to a small cottage in the Butternut River Valley in upstate New York. In the winter she migrates to old Florida--cowboys, scrub palmetto, and open fields of grazing cattle, a place where spurs still jingle in the post office. Back north, she devotes her afternoons to writing and, when the sun sets, relaxing on the bank of her trout stream, sipping tea or a local microbrew.

Catch Up With the Author:

Tour Participants:

My Thoughts
This book is the first in the Eve Appel series, of which I hope to read more of. Eve is the owner of a second hand shop called Second to None, that caters to down on their luck formerly rich women who want to sell their clothes and accessories on consignment but do not want their cronies to know that their luck has changed. Eve then, with the help of her employee Madeleine, resell the merchandise to woman wanting quality slightly used clothing at a discount.

Eve has just opened up shop for the day when she discovers a woman dead in the backroom of the shop. The woman is a West Palm socialite and as it turns out, Eve has had a previous encounter with the woman. Eve becomes a suspect and she is determined to find out what is going on and who the real murderer is.  So along with Madeleine, Alex, who is a PI, Eve's Grandy and her husband and a full cast of zany and dangerous characters makes this cozy mystery a fun read. With laugh out loud scenes and some scary moments, this book is so hard to put down and when the end did come, I found myself wondering what madcap adventure awaits the reader in the next book. I loved it!!

I received a copy of the book for review and was not monetarily compensated for my review.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like such an interesting and fun mystery. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun!!! Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet