Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

29 May 2015

Proverbial Beauty: Secrets for success and happiness from the wisdom of the ages by Yonason Goldson Spotlight!



Today it is my pleasure to welcome Yonason Goldson, author of Proverbial Beauty; Secrets For Success and Happiness From the Wisdom of the Ages to Celticlady's Reviews

Enter the Goodreads giveaway by June 15th to win a free copy.

Author Bio -- Yonason Goldson



Try to imagine a marriage between King Solomon and the Mona Lisa.  Now try to imagine that Malcolm Gladwell had written Chicken Soup for the Soul.  If you succeed, you’ll have some insight into the imagination of Yonason Goldson.

The former hitchhiker, circumnavigator, and newspaper columnist took the long road to the rabbinate, visiting 20 countries and 30 states before settling in Israel for nine years to study the intricacies of the Talmud and Jewish philosophy.  He now lives with his wife in St. Louis, where he teaches, writes, and lectures to a variety of audiences on contemporary issues, current events, education, childraising, history, and spiritual growth.

Graduating from the University of California with a degree in English and no plan for the future, Yonason took off on a hitchhiking adventure across the United States.  He ended up in Key West, working for a company that transported boats seized by the Coast Guard for drug trafficking to the customs docks in northern Florida.

His travels eventually led him to the other side of the Atlantic to backpack across Europe before making his way to Israel, where he rediscovered the ancient wisdom of his Jewish heritage.  Since receiving his rabbinic ordination, he taught high school first  in Budapest, Hungary, then in Atlanta, Georgia, and currently in St. Louis, Missouri.

Yonason began his writing career as an irregular columnist for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, then branched out to a variety of Jewish and secular journals.  He has published hundreds of articles and three books, with his fourth due out now --  Proverbial Beauty:  Secrets for success and happiness from the wisdom of the ages.  Midwest Book Review says that, “Real definitions of love and happiness are provided in a blend of proverbs and analysis that will delight those thinkers who want a lively discourse of possibilities and alternative visions.”

Book is now available at Amazon Here

From the author:

I’ve always been fascinated by contradictions:  good and evil, life and death, the body and the spirit.  Maybe that’s what drew me in college to a course of study as impractical as English Literature.  It’s certainly what drew me into the study of the Talmud, and it’s definitely what has shaped my style as a writer.

But nothing good comes easy.  To write anything worth reading one needs either deep insight or extensive experience… preferably both.  That’s why I set off on the road -- not in search of adventure but in search of education, the kind I didn’t get in college.  In never imagined what I would see and learn.

I saw how mothers in India maimed their children so they would become better beggars transposed against the fairy-tale beauty of the Taj Mahal; I met a poor tea plantation worker in Sri Lanka giddy with pleasure at having a guest in his hovel; I saw children living in a Manila tenement so filled with infectious joy that I didn’t want to leave.  And, while hitchhiking, I heard endless narratives from lonely drivers complaining about their wives, their children, and their jobs.  It struck me that the people with every reason to be unhappy were often much happier than the rest of us.  After all that, it took a long time before the psychological and emotional dust began to settle.  

Eventually, I found that many of the solutions to life’s problems have been accessible for thousands of years.  And they have been largely ignored for just as long.

My newest book, Proverbial Beauty, examines the paradoxes of the human heart and mind, blending the eternal wisdom of King Solomon’s Book of Proverbs with the timeless symbolism of the Mona Lisa, and incorporating a variety of folktales, news stories, and historical vignettes to produce a medley of insights and observations into the secrets of happiness and success.

My earlier books include two anthologies of essays:  A Crucible for Silver offers musings on how to help our children by adopting healthy outlooks as parents; and Celestial Navigation investigates the deeper meaning of the Jewish holidays.  My major opus to date is Dawn to Destiny, an overview of Jewish history and philosophy from Creation through the era of the Talmud, published by Judaica Press.

A free PDF file of the first four chapters of Proverbial Beauty is available on request.  Contact me through my website yonasongoldson.com.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet