Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

27 July 2011

The Immortality Virus by Christine Amsden Review

The Immortality Virus

Book Details

  • Paperback: 272 pages
  • Publisher: Paladin Timeless Books (June 15, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1606190032
  • ISBN-13: 978-1606190036

Book Description from Amazon

In the mid-21st century, the human race stopped aging. Those who know why aren't talking, and the few who are brave enough to ask questions tend to disappear. To an elite few, The Change means long life and health, but to the increasing masses, it means starvation, desperation, and violence.

Four centuries after The Change, Grace Harper, a blacklisted P.I., sets off on a mission to find the man responsible for it all and solicit his help to undo The Change - if he's still alive. To complicate matters, Grace's employer is suspected of murdering his father, and when the police learn of their connection, they give her a choice - help them find the evidence they need to convict Matthew Stanton, or die. But if they discover Grace's true mission, they won't hesitate to kill her in order to protect their shot at immortality.
From the Author

The Immortality Virus is one of those high-concept stories that came to me in a burst of inspiration...and then took three years to actually write. Each new draft came closer and closer to my original vision, and made me give new thought to the cost of immortality -- both individually and for society as a whole.

For those of you who read my debut novel, Touch of Fate, you may be surprised at the new direction my writing has taken in The Immortality Virus. One is a modern-day paranormal suspense, while the other is a far-future science fiction thriller. On the surface, they may seem to have little in common, but with each of my books I like to do two things. First, I write about female heroines with combinations of strength and vulnerability, who discover something important along the way. Second, I grow personally with the story and characters. In Touch of Fate, it was about learning to accept that which cannot be changed, and strive to improve that which can be changed. In The Immortality Virus, it was more complicated. I was exploring ideas related to the good of the individual, vs the good of the community, as well as the concept of love and forever. In this case, there were no flashes of inspiration or concrete answers, but I did enjoy posing the question.
 
My Thoughts:
 
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live in the future? To be able to live a very long time and never age?? Well Christine Amsden, in writing The Immortality Virus,  has shown us what life could be like in this future world of hers. I am not sure if this is the life I would want to live, if you were lucky you had a job and a home and food. For those of the people that didn't have these, life for them was pretty bleak. Living on the street, eating bars made of suspicious ingredients( Soylent Green was mentioned a few times). The book is very readable and not innundated with a bunch of sci-fi gobbledygook. I was pulled into the story right away and I liked the main character Grace Harper.  Only strong stable people would be able to survive in a world such as this. So after reading this book, first off, I look forward to a sequel, if there will be one and second, I have decided that I don't want to live 400+ years. I really enjoyed this book and recommend it to fans of the sci-fi/thriller genre. Christine Amsden is also the author of Touch of Fate.
To read more about Christine Amsden and read Chapter 1 of The Immortality Virus you can visit her website here:
I received this book from Twilight Times Books and was not monetarily compensated for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet