Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

28 June 2012

Dancing Naked in Dixie by Lauren Clark Guest Post








I am pleased to have Lauren as a guest today at Celticlady's Reviews!! 


* Can you tell me what inspired you to write Dancing Naked in Dixie?

About ten years ago, I moved to the Deep South after living in the North Eastern part of the United States. It was an exciting, frightening, wonderful experience.

Not only was the climate a huge change (hot & muggy versus blizzards), the food was vastly different (collard greens, ribs, and banana pudding versus hot wings and roast beef), and even the language took a bit of getting used to (phrases like "mash the button" and "that dog don't hunt" were a bit bewildering at first).

Since then, I've grown to love and appreciate my home in the Deep South. The people are friendly and welcoming, they are fiercely proud of their heritage and history, and have a long-standing belief in the importance of church, family, and community.

With Dixie, I wanted to take some of my own experiences, insert them into Julia's life, and watch how she grows and changes as a result. It's really a story about personal growth, shedding preconceived notions, and finding happiness where you least expect it.

* What's a typical working day like for you?

As soon as everyone wakes up, there's a rush of activity, as my children get ready for school and my husband heads out the door to work. I grab a cup of coffee and try to get in a Pure Barre class or go to yoga. (I have a love/hate relationship with exercise. I like the results, but many days, 55 minutes of intense thigh, arm, and seat work isn't much fun!!)

If I'm wrapping up a book and am close to a release date, I often grab (another) cup of coffee, answer emails, work on blog posts, post on Facebook, and tweet about anything new and interesting I've run across. I try very hard to support my author-friends. I love sharing ideas and collaborating on projects.

When I'm in the beginning phases of a novel (brainstorming, outlining, plot development, first draft), I like to go to the library for a few hours of quiet. I don't have access to the Internet (no password!), so I am able to get lots of writing done.

I'm almost always home by 3 p.m. when it's time for school to let out. I love being home when my children get there. It gives me a chance to find out about their day and talk about any projects or plans they have with friends.

In the late afternoon, I usually tackle the dreaded household chores, fix dinner, and run any errands. After dinner, if it's a nice night, we might sit out on our porch and talk with our neighbors, take a walk, or go for a bike ride.

* When and where do you write?

I actually write best in the morning and in a place where it's very quiet. A lot of my author-friends use music as motivation, or write in local coffee shops, but I find that I don't get a lot done because I see friends, check email, or talk on the phone with my family.

The best place for me to write is on our local university campus in the library. If I'm lucky, I can snag a study room or corner study desk. There are floor-to-ceiling windows and a lovely view over the rolling hills of the campus, so the atmosphere is tranquil and lovely. The library also allows coffee and drinks (with lids), so that's an added bonus.

* Do you set a daily writing goal?

I try to write at least five days a week (my kids complain if I'm always on my laptop), and I do shoot for a minimum of one thousand words each day. Many days, I'm able to get in two thousand words, but much more than that is tough.

Doing the math, it takes about four months to complete the first draft for an 85-thousand word novel, which is an average length for fiction. That's using a goal of writing one thousand words a day, five days a week.

I find that it's best for me to work from an outline, in chronological order, chapter by chapter. I don't often go back and revise the past day's work. It's too easy to spend hours tweaking a sentence or paragraph and never get past chapter one. Sometimes you have to work through that awful first draft to get to the real story. I wrote two novels before I decided that my writing had improved enough to have a freelance editor take a look at the third manuscript.

In my opinion, that collaboration is crucial. Finding a skilled, objective editor to critique and help strengthen a story often moves a manuscript from good to great! For me, there's always room to learn and grow as an author.

Thank you so much Lauren!!!





About Dancing Naked in Dixie:

Travel writer Julia Sullivan lives life in fast-forward. She jet sets to Europe and the Caribbean with barely a moment to blink or sleep. But too many mishaps and missed deadlines have Julia on the verge of being fired.

With a stern warning, and unemployment looming, she's offered one last chance to rescue her career. Julia embarks on an unlikely journey to the ‘Heart of Dixie’—Eufaula, Alabama—home to magnificent mansions, sweet tea, and the annual Pilgrimage.

Julia arrives, soon charmed by the lovely city and her handsome host, but her stay is marred by a shocking discovery. Can Julia's story save her career, Eufaula, and the annual Pilgrimage? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Lauren Clark writes contemporary novels set in the Deep South; stories sprinkled with sunshine, suspense, and secrets.

A former TV news anchor, Lauren adores flavored coffee, local book stores, and anywhere she can stick her toes in the sand. Her big loves are her family, paying it forward, and true-blue friends. Check out her website at www.laurenclarkbooks.com.



READ AN EXCERPT!!!


I’m a travel writer at Getaways magazine. Paid for the glorious task of gathering up fascinating snippets of culture and piecing them into quirky little stories. Jet-setting to the Riviera, exploring the Great Barrier Reef, basking on Bermuda beaches. It’s as glamorous and exhilarating as I imagined.

Okay, it is a tad lonely, from time to time.

And quite exhausting.

Which is precisely why I have to get organized.

Today.

I sink into my chair and try to concentrate. What to tackle first? Think, think.  

“Julia Sullivan!”
                                                        
Third reminder. Uh-oh.

Marietta rolls her eyes and jerks a thumb toward the inevitable. “Guess you better walk the plank,” she teases. “New guy’s waiting. Haven’t met him yet, but I’ve heard he’s the ‘take no prisoners’ sort. Hope you come back alive.”

I grope for something witty and casual to say, but all of a sudden, my head feels light and hollow.

I’ve been dying to find out about the new editor.

Every last gory detail.

Until now.

“I’m still in another time zone,” I offer up to Marietta with a weak smile. My insides toss from side to side as I slide out of my chair.

Marietta tosses me a wry look. “Nice try. Get going already, sport.”

I tilt my head toward the hallway and pretend to pout. When I look back, Marietta’s already disappeared. Smart girl.

“Fine, fine.” I tug a piece of rebellious auburn hair into place, smooth my wool suit, and begin to march toward the inevitable.

Our new editor.

My neck prickles.

I’m not going to worry. Not much anyway.

My pulse thuds.

Not going to worry about change. Or re-organization. Or pink slips.

Focus, Julia. 





Goddess Fish Partner

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting Lauren today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous29 June, 2012

    It's been a really interesting tour! Thank you for sharing so much with us...I know the book will be great.

    vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous29 June, 2012

    Thank you so much for sharing your blog and hosting Dancing Naked in Dixie today!! So glad that I was able to share the inspiration behind the story ... it's been an interesting journey for me, to say the least!

    xx, lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous29 June, 2012

    Vitajex ~ It has been an interesting few weeks and I have to say that I am sad that we're almost through with the tour! I really appreciate you following the tour and I can't say enough about bloggers like Kathleen who spent their time supporting Indie authors!!!

    :) Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous tour indeed!!

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous04 July, 2012

    Thank you Marybelle! I've been SO fortunate to have wonderful people like you checking out Dixie and stopping at all of these wonderful blogs !!!!

    HUGS! Lauren

    ReplyDelete

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet