Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

04 March 2013

The Book of Killowen by Erin Hart Review


An ancient volume of philosophical heresy provides a motive for murder in this haunting, lyrical novel of forensics, archeology, and history—the fourth in an acclaimed suspense series. 

What sort of book is worth a man’s life? After a year away from working in the field, archaeologist Cormac Maguire and pathologist Nora Gavin are back in the bogs, investigating a ninth-century body found buried in the trunk of a car. They discover that the ancient corpse is not alone—pinned beneath it is the body of Benedict Kavanagh, missing for mere months and familiar to television viewers as a philosopher who enjoyed destroying his opponents in debate. Both men were viciously murdered, but centuries apart—so how did they end up buried together in the bog?

While on the case, Cormac and Nora lodge at Killowen, a nearby artists’ colony, organic farm, and sanctuary for eccentric souls. Digging deeper into the older crime, they become entangled in high-stakes intrigue encompassing Kavanagh’s death while surrounded by suspects in his ghastly murder. It seems that everyone at Killowen has some secret to protect.

Set in modern-day Ireland, The Book of Killowen reveals a new twist on the power of language—and on the eternal mysteries of good and evil.



About this author


ERIN HART'S archaeological crime novels are set in the mysterious boglands of Ireland. She introduced pathologist Nora Gavin in one of the most lauded mystery debuts of 2003: HAUNTED GROUND(2003), was a Booksense 76 pick, won the Friends of American Writers award and Romantic Times' Best First Mystery, was shortlisted for Anthony and Agatha awards, and translated into ten foreign languages. LAKE OF SORROWS (2004) was shortlisted for a Minnesota Book Award, and FALSE MERMAID (2010) was named by ALA/Booklist as one of the Top Ten Crime Novels of 2010. THE BOOK OF KILLOWEN is due out in March 2013. A Minnesota theater critic, a former communications director of the Minnesota State Arts Board, and a founder of the Twin Cities Irish Music & Dance Association, Hart received an M.A. in English and Creative Writing from the University of Minnesota. Erin lives in Saint Paul with her husband, Irish musician Paddy O'Brien(http://www.paddyobrien.net), and travels frequently to Ireland. 


My Thoughts
The Book of Killowen is the fourth book in the Nora Gavin series. I am obsessed with anything Irish so when I saw that Erin Hart had a new installment out, I was so anxious to read it. This novel takes place in Ireland and it is a suspenseful murder mystery. Two bodies are found in the trunk of a car buried in a bog. One of them is centuries old and the other one is that of a missing man. 
There is actually a few different story lines going on and they all come together perfectly to tell a character driven story. A wonderful tale of Irish folklore and modern science which shows the  archaeological skills of Nora Gavin and her lover Cormac Maguire at their best. I loved every page of it and also learned a few things about how the ancient 'books of Ireland were written and preserved..Ms.Hart definitely has done her homework on this one. I look forward to another one from this great storyteller!! I highly recommend these books by a gifted author.

I received a review copy from Edelweiss and was not monetarily compensated for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet