Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

25 July 2013

Widow Woman by Julia Tagliere Review for Orangeberry Book Tours


1962 helped kick off a decade of tremendous change. President Kennedy bans all trade with Cuba. Jackie Robinson became the first African American elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. The Beatles recorded their first song together, and Illinois became the first U.S. state to decriminalize homosexual acts between consenting adults. 

For Audrey Randolph, a young Midwestern wife and the main character in Widow Woman, by Minnesota author Julia Tagliere, 1962 also brought personal tragedy: her mother died suddenly, leaving behind a lifetime of letters, photos and unimaginable secrets. Audrey, stunned by her mother’s death and the subsequent revelations of past loves and lovers, can no longer trust the reality she has always known. She must come to terms with dual losses, both her mother's death, as well as the unanswered, nagging question: Was anything she knew real?


My Review
Widow Woman, to me was a story of love and forgiveness. The main character, Audrey, recently found out that her husband cheated on her and then her mother dies unexpectedly. She goes back home to her mother's home to scatter her mother's ashes and also to clean out the house. She is very heartbroken about her mother's death and when she goes to the lawyer to go over the will, she finds out some things about her mother and the woman she considered to be a second mother that she finds hard to believe. 

The story takes place in 1962 where certain things are still taboo and difficult to deal with. Audrey struggles with what she knows but when her mother's good friend tries to commit suicide, she starts to understand what her mother's life was like and who she was. With the help of letter's from her mother to her, she is able to come to grips with what she knows and finally is able to be at peace with her own life.

I enjoyed this story and it did bring on a tear or two while reading and it had an ending that was totally unexpected but nice. I think the story also brings to light what life was like in the 60's for a woman.I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I received a copy of this book for review and was not monetarily compensated for my review.

http://blog.orangeberrypromo.com/



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review, Kathleen! I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet