09 April 2014

Memory Child by Steena Holmes Review!


Steena Holmes grew up in a small town in Canada and holds a bachelor’s degree in theology. She is the author of eleven novels and novellas, including Finding Emma, for which she was awarded a National Indie Excellence Book Award in 2012. She currently lives in Calgary with her husband and three daughters, and loves to wake up to the Rocky Mountains each morning.
 
HELPFUL LINKS: 
Twitter: @steenaholmes


Review
A week ago, I picked up Steena Holmes’ new book The Memory Child and I finished reading it in two days. A quarter of the way through the book, I had already figured out the plotline, but I could not put the book down because there is always a chance I could be wrong (even though I wasn’t) and I just needed to know if my suspicions were true!

The synopsis of this book from Goodreads is as follows:

“When Brian finds out that his wife, Diane, is pregnant, he is elated. He's been patiently waiting for twelve years to become a father. But Diane has always been nervous about having children because of her family's dark past. The timing of the pregnancy also isn't ideal - Diane has just been promoted, and Brian is being called away to open a new London office for his company.

Fast-forward one year: being a mother has brought Diane a sense of joy that she'd never imagined and she's head over heels for her new baby, Grace. But things are far from perfect: Brian has still not returned from London, and Diane fears leaving the baby for even a moment. As unsettling changes in those around Diane began to emerge, it becomes clear that all is not as it seems.

A woman's dark past collides head-on with her mysterious present in this surreal and gripping family drama.”

This is not the best, most “gripping” book I have ever read, but I did enjoy it as a quick read. Diane is a strange character and has had difficulties in her past, which become glaringly obvious to explain her current state of mind. The storyline is interesting and intriguing and if you don’t have an over analytical mind while you read like I do, you will be surprised at the end; however, it is my opinion that Holmes gives away too many clues during the book that I picked up on and therefore was not shocked at the end. Every detail a writer puts in a book is important and not to be overlooked, and I found myself putting together puzzle pieces to solve the mystery of Brian & Diane way before the book was finished.

I give this book 3 stars (out of 5) and would recommend it to someone who is looking for a quick, intriguing read.

A copy of the book was provided for an honest review, there was no monetary compensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet