Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

18 November 2014

Always Watching by Chevy Stevens Review!

 Book Details

  • Paperback: 368 pages
  • Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin; Reprint edition (May 6, 2014)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1250049008
  • ISBN-13: 978-1250049001


In her recent novel, Always Watching, Chevy Stevens tackles an interesting topic, cult life. I have always been intrigued by cults and the reasons why people join them and this book provides a great insight, albeit fictional, into the world of cults.

Goodreads provides this description of Always Watching:

She helps people put their demons to rest.

But she has a few of her own…

In the lockdown ward of a psychiatric hospital, Dr. Nadine Lavoie is in her element. She has the tools to help people, and she has the desire—healing broken families is what she lives for. But Nadine doesn’t want to look too closely at her own past because there are whole chunks of her life that are black holes. It takes all her willpower to tamp down her recurrent claustrophobia, and her daughter, Lisa, is a runaway who has been on the streets for seven years.

When a distraught woman, Heather Simeon, is brought into the Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit after a suicide attempt, Nadine gently coaxes her story out of her—and learns of some troubling parallels with her own life. Digging deeper, Nadine is forced to confront her traumatic childhood, and the damage that began when she and her brother were brought by their mother to a remote commune on Vancouver Island. What happened to Nadine? Why was their family destroyed? And why does the name Aaron Quinn, the group’s leader, bring complex feelings of terror to Nadine even today?

And then, the unthinkable happens, and Nadine realizes that danger is closer to home than she ever imagined. She has no choice but to face what terrifies her the most…and fight back.

Sometimes you can leave the past, but you can never escape.

I have only read two novels by Chevy Stevens and this one is pretty interesting. Stevens takes on and interprets the “cult” life pretty well in Always Watching. The story kept my interest but it did not captivate me as much as the other novel of hers I read called That Night. Perhaps because the plotline was drawn out a bit, as the main character Nadine tries to wrestle her own demons about her experience in the cult life. Or perhaps the ending was too predictable? I gave this book a solid 3-stars on Goodreads. I would recommend this book to anyone who is a Chevy Stevens fan or a fan of mystery.

Guest Reviewer: Kara Kelly

A copy of the book was provided and there was no monetary compensation.



CHEVY STEVENS grew up on a ranch on Vancouver Island and still lives on the island with her husband and daughter. When she's not working on her next book, she's camping and canoeing with her family in the local mountains. Her debut novel, STILL MISSING, won the International Thriller Writers Award for Best First Novel. Please visit her at www.chevystevens.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet