Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

10 December 2014

Spoonfuls of Honey by Hattie Ellis Review!

Book Details

  • Hardcover: 192 pages
  • Publisher: Pavilion Books (September 4, 2014)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1909108294
  • ISBN-13: 978-1909108295

Just as honeybees are found all over the world, so are recipes that use their honey. Caribbean jerk, Spanish tapas, French sauces, British biscuits and Turkish cakes all gleam with the sweet stuff, and it can take no more than a spoonful of honey to bring its deep flavour to a dish. 'Spoonfuls of Honey' explores varieties of honey, explains what to consider when buying and storing, gives tips on its use in your cooking, and also explores the benefits to your health and the role bees and honey play in nature.

My Thoughts

What is honey? "Honey is a sweet food made by bees using nectar from flowers. The variety produced by honey bees is the one most commonly referred to, as it is the type of honey collected by most beekeepers and consumed by people."

Spoonfuls of Honey is a definitive book on anything you ever wanted to know about honey, from the different types of honey, to explanations of crystallization, how it is removed from the comb to nutrition. There is a section on honey in the kitchen along with recipes. There is another section on what kinds to purchase and storing of the honey. There are light honeys, medium honeys and dark honeys.

Did you know that in WWI, honey was used on the wounded to treat their wounds? Honey has significant antibacterial properties and some cultures use honey for cuts and abrasions. Bees play an important role in pollination of plants and flowers and are crucial to the environment. 

You can use honey as is as a syrup, in butters, and in most recipes that use sugar. I love honey in tea, I prefer it to sugar and honey used in recipes for meat are fantastic. One of the recipes is Chicken with honey, lemon and thyme. That sure does sound good, I think I will make this one the next time I have chicken. Not only can you use honey on meats but on vegetables and fruits as well. Great in sauces and dips.

I love this book, I will certainly be going to this cookbook for recipes with honey. I highly recommend this book for the discerning cook!

I received a copy for review and was not monetarily compensated for my review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet