Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

03 January 2015

The First Mrs.Rochester and Her Husband by M.C. Smith Review!



Book Details

  • Paperback: 306 pages
  • Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform; 1 edition (February 15, 2013)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1481099124
  • ISBN-13: 978-1481099127

He is the unloved second son of an old and esteemed family. She is breathtaking and rich but unknowingly carries the seeds of a devastating illness. Their fathers strike a convenient bargain which their children have little choice but to accept. Products of their time, Bertha Mason and Edward Rochester marry for financial security and respectability although they scarcely know one another.

At best, they will become comfortable companions who grow to love one another.
At worst . . .

In Jane Eyre Charlotte Brontë hints at their early days together and gives a secondhand account of their catastrophic last encounter, but there is more to the story of Bertha and Edward's disastrous union--much, much more.

A respectful look at Brontë's characters through their own eyes, The First Mrs. Rochester and Her Husband reveals how the Rochesters live in those shady years between leaving Jamaica and Jane's arrival at Thornfield Hall. Removed from the lush tropical garden she loved as a child and confined to a single room, Bertha struggles to understand the losses of her past and why she is hated and feared by her husband. Meanwhile, Edward crisscrosses Europe, seeking happiness but finding only failed affairs and painful truths. He grows inured to his despair and dissatisfaction until an unusual young woman joins his household and reminds him of the man he had hoped to become. A reckless plan to commit bigamy results in tragedy for everyone around him, and Edward--humbled physically and spiritually--must at last own his mistakes and strive to make peace with himself.





A native of West Tennessee, M. C. Smith graduated from Christian Brothers University in Memphis, Tennessee. She currently lives in Durham, North Carolina, where she works for a national not-for-profit agency.

She has been an admirer of Charlotte Bronte since seventh grade and hopes her novel satisfactorily answers some of the questions left behind by Jane Eyre. Oddly enough, when Ms. Smith visited Yorkshire in 2010, she did not find her way to any Bronte-related spots. (The shame!) She did, however, make time for Newstead Abbey, Byron's ancestral home.

When not working, she probably is listening to Dash Rip Rock or Social Distortion.


My Thoughts

I have never read Jane Eyre but I have watched numerous movies based on the book. I knew the concept of what happened to Jane Eyre and how she ended up with Mr.Rochester. What I found interesting though is about Bertha, the first wife. I felt bad for her that everyone thought she was mad and I did not like how she was treated by her husband. Can you imagine being locked in a room for years? I would imagine that that would make a person mad. I was hoping, in the story, that she would have some gumption and fight back. I think that is she were to be in the here and now she would probably be diagnosed with bipolar.

The story was written in alternating chapters between Bertha and Edward. I really didn't like Edwards character at first but by the end of the story I felt that whatever bad he had done, he made up for it in his changes in his personality and deeds. After the tragedy, he became a humbled man and started feeling for those around him, those who stayed faithful to him. 

I will not go into detail about the story but I think if you are a person who likes the classics, and Jane Eyre in particular, then you should read this book. A look into the people that were briefly touched upon in the original story.

I received a copy of this book for review and was not monetarily compensated for said review.

The First Mrs. Rochester and Her Husband
The novel is a stand-alone work released in February 2013.
Historical Fiction




2 comments:

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet