Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

13 September 2015

The Ghost and the Grimoire by Laura Hawks Spotlight!



The Ghost and the Grimoire:

Book Details

  • Paperback: 376 pages
  • Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (July 7, 2015)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1514898241
  • ISBN-13: 978-1514898246
  • ASIN: B0118UC8RS

Confederate Soldier Elliott Stone made numerous mistakes in his life. When he betrayed his comrades, he was tortured and murdered. 

For over a century and a half, his only refuge is the sanctuary of the house built where he took his last breath. 
He was content in his solitude...until she came and disrupted his whole world. 

Daniella Yankovich inherited the beautiful Colonial Home. It came at a time she needed tranquility and peace from the N.Y. rat race. Little did she know her fortuitous blessing came with a cantankerous spirit. 

Now a Civil War of wills in the house has begun. Will the North prevail or will the South rise again?

Available on Amazon in Kindle:  
                   Barnes and Noble:  


Author Bio:  
     Ms. Hawks  has always been interested in writing in some form or other. A few years back, she was involved with and then ran a Star Trek Interactive Writing Group which was successful for a number of years. Yes, she is a trekker and proud of it.
     She has directed tours around the country and continues to do so to pay the bills. Maybe one day, she can travel for fun and let the books she writes pay the bills instead. She can only hope.
      A few years back, she received her Master’s Degree in Ancient Civilizations, Native American History, and the United States History. It was at this time she got involved in role playing on FaceBook, which gave her ample opportunities to grow and hone her writing ability.Taking the leap forward, she decided to try her hand at writing a novel. That novel is entitled Demon’s Kiss.

      Ms. Hawks attends several science fiction conventions in the Mid-West and writers/Romance conventions around the country. Check the Calendar for her next appearances. She is available for panels, book signings, and appearances.Please keep checking back to see what is going on with her and the books she gets published.

Author Website: laurahawks.webs.com
                           Facebook Page

Excerpt:
Dani realized Eli was waiting on her to say something. After all, she was the one who knocked on his door. She fidgeted restlessly, but soon her concern overrode her hesitation. She had always been blunt in business and she was not about to change personally. She just was not sure if he were aware of her being there at all since the others did not seem to notice her presence.
“I wanted to check up on you. Are you okay?”
Eli decided to play a bit dumb. “Why wouldn't I be?”
“I saw you die. I saw what you went through. Surely that must take a toll on you.”
He frowned and glided around her in a circle, contemplating. Finally, after a couple of rotations, he stopped in front of her.
“What do you know about it? Why would you care?” Eli asked nonchalantly.
“I don't know why I know about it. I just know I spent the whole twenty-four hours watching it over and over again. Does this happen every day?”
“No. Just every fourth of the month. It's the day I died.”
“Why does this happen to you?”
“Because the land is cursed. This was Cherokee Indian Territory. They were forced off this land by the superiority of the whites and were overlooked because they were not black slaves. When they were pushed off the land, they cursed it. Sadly, I incurred their wrath because I dishonored one of their burial grounds. I should have known better, as I am part Catawba myself, so I doubly besmirched the culture and the elders. I, in turn, cursed those who killed me. The number four is a sacred number to my people. It sort of enhances the power given to the malediction. What I don't understand, is why you were there. I have never had a witness before.” He also wondered silently, why she avoided the question of why she cared that he went through this hell once a month a multitude of times.
“You're Native American?” She asked surprised.
Eli chuckled. Of everything he’d told her, that is what she picked up on? He was part Native American? Really? Not the land being cursed, or the hell he goes through once a month, but that he was part Catawba? He sobered quickly enough. “Yes. Does it matter? Does any of it?”
Dani reached out to him, only to have her hand pass through him. “It doesn't matter you're Indian. It does matter to me that you have to go through this every month. Can't anything be done to stop it? Can't anything prevent the curse from occurring?”
Eli couldn't help but blink. Stop the curse? Stop the torture each month? He never thought so. He never even contemplated such an idea. He had grown complacent in his punishment, never considering there might be an alternative.
“In all honesty, I am surprised a curse even existed for this land. The English raided the burial grounds of our leaders for their pearls and copper. I heard tell some of the burial sites were cursed to protect the areas. I assumed it was just a legend, for none ever came true before. At least, none I know of before me. Ain't rightly sure about that, though. As for breaking the curse, ain't heard none tell of that neither. So ain't sure it can be broken.”
“You never even wondered? Never tried? Eli, let me help find you peace. I can't touch you, but I am here for you. What you endure, what you go through each month alone, no one should have to do that. Let me help. Let me try and find a way to set you free. If I can't, then let me be here when it's over to comfort you the best I can.” She stepped right up to his ghostly form, lowering her voice to a soft whisper. “Let me be there for you and not alone.”
He was perplexed. “You're willing to do that? To try and help me find peace from this nightmare I have suffered for more ages than I care to admit?”
She looked into his windows of his soul, making sure she relayed the truth behind her singular word. “Yes.”
He turned away from her then. Never before had a woman, much less a Yankee been willing to help him with anything major that didn't entail something for herself. Yet, what could she gain by helping him? Peace to live in the house without him to annoy her with his very presence? Did she think he was going to hand over the gold? She only knew about the gold from Pease repeatedly asking about it.
Did she believe him when he told Pease he lost it? He didn't want to be so untrusting, yet, he had to know. He had to put his feelings aside of caring for her and if he knew the truth, that he was nothing to her, he would be able to forget the idea of her helping him out of the kindness of her cold, carpetbagger heart. No one could be as gentle and kind as her.
“Ain't got the money, you know.” He said simply, turning back to gauge her reaction.
She gaped, her mouth falling ajar a little. “Money? You think I offered to help you for payment? I honestly didn't think you knew where the gold was the guy kept asking about. Even if you did know where it was, I don't care about it anyways. It's yours.” She noticed the incredulous look he gave her and she held her hands up in surrender.
        “Listen. I meant what I said. I have no ulterior motives other than I wanted to help you. I stand by it because I care about you and sure as hell don't want to see what you went through again next month, or ever. If I can help you, then I will. If I can't I will do my best to be here for whatever you need. No payment requested. None required or accepted. And honestly, I don't appreciate you insinuating it's why I wish to help you.” She paused again for a moment, putting her face near his.
“You may not understand this, but there are people, me for one, who care about others, regardless if they are dead or alive and just want to help. We have spent several days together over the past couple of weeks. You have assisted me with a multitude of things I needed while I have been recuperating. I have come to appreciate your company and have started to consider you as a friend. I want to help because I care about you. Nothing more, nothing less.”
Eli stared at her. He could not remember the last time he wanted to kiss someone this badly or trust someone this desperately. Suddenly, nothing else seemed important to him but her. Could someone like her really exist? Someone who cared about him and his needs not their own? Someone who would actually put his needs first? His heart swelled at the thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet