Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

05 January 2016

Lake of Fire by Mark Stevens Review!


The Book
A giant wildfire is roaring through Colorado's Flat Tops Wilderness. The massive blaze is wiping out Allison Coil's precious hunting grounds, and the flames have set their sights on the beautiful ranch owned by her boyfriend's family.

Allison and longtime friend Trudy are shocked to learn that a body has been found in the fire-ravaged forest—a friend who was a reclusive environmentalist with an unorthodox idea for the battle against global warming. Along with reporter Duncan Bloom, Allison burrows into an underground group of anti-government extremists. As they strike close to home and hurt those closest to her, Allison vows hell might not be punishment enough for this cabal of sinister fanatics.


The Author
My first mystery, "Antler Dust," was published in 2007 and made the best-seller list on The Denver Post. Two years later, it was back on the same list. Great reviews from The Aspen Times and Great Falls (Montana) Tribune, among others. 

The sequel, "Buried by the Roan," was published in August 2011. (Said Margaret Coel: "Flat-out terrific.") It was a finalist for the 2012 Colorado Book Award. 

I was raised in Lincoln, Massachusetts. Graduated from Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School. Four years later, I graduated from Principia College in Illinois. I’ve worked as a reporter for The Christian Science Monitor in Boston and Los Angeles, covering a variety of events and issues from the economy, commercial fishing, the environment, politics and all the colorful people and events of southern California. 

I've worked for The Rocky Mountain News and Denver Post, also with the MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour. For six years, I produced field documentaries across the United States and Latin America. I covered the 1985 earthquake in Mexico City, NASA’s space shuttle disaster, a volcano eruption in Colombia, political upheavals in Nicaragua, and mudslides in Puerto Rico. 


The Review
Lake of Fire is a well-written mystery thriller that takes place in Colorado, starts with a forest fire that Alison Coil is stuck in and has to find her way out, just her and her horse, but the fire continues to rage and it is headed to her boyfriend family's ranch. While they all race to protect the ranch, Alison finds out that a friend of hers body was found in the fire. It is quickly determined that he was murdered. Now Alison and another friend, reporter Duncan Bloom must find out the how and whys of the death of the local activist. 

Lake of Fire is the fourth in this series that brings back some previous characters with a mystery taking place during a raging fire that may not have been caused by lightning but by sinister people at work with their own agenda's. Alison is a strong personality who is determined to find out who set the fire and how and why her friend was murdered. With an underground group of anti-government extremist to deal with, will she be able to find out what happened or is she just putting herself and those she loves at risk?

Like I said this is a well-written mystery, engaging and real characters and the writers feel for real events that make this novel an easy and exciting read. I read it in a couple of sittings and thoroughly enjoyed it. I highly recommend this book!

I received a copy for review and was not monetarily compensated for my review.

1 comment:

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet