Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

14 February 2016

The Adventures of Charlie Smithers by C.W.Lovatt Spotlight!



About the Book

The time is the nineteenth century. The place, the Serengeti Plain, where one Charlie Smithers – faithful manservant to the arrogant bone-head, Lord Brampton (with five lines in Debrett, and a hopeless shot to boot) – becomes separated from his master during an unfortunate episode with an angry rhinoceros, thereby launching Charlie on an odyssey into Deepest Darkest Africa, and subsequently into the arms of the beautiful Loiyan…and that’s where the trouble really begins.

Maasai warriors, xenophobic locals, or evil Arab slavers, the two forbidden lovers encounter everything that the unforgiving jungle can throw at them. 

Amazon link: http://mybook.to/tacs

Read an Excerpt

Chapter One
“Gun, Smithers!”
Lord Brampton held his hand out expectantly; arm rigid,
fingertips twiddling with impatience; all the while never taking his
eyes off the fearsome black rhino grazing placidly in the distance.
I carefully handed him the heavy elephant gun, making
sure the muzzle was pointing well away from either his lordship
or myself. Two great bullets were loaded in those chambers. The
hammers were at half-cock, but I’d learned the hard way it was
always best to be safe…insofar as that was possible. I regret to
say, however, that when in the company of my master, when he
was in the company of his guns, that possibility didn’t always
exist.

But, so far so good; Lord Brampton’s fingers curled
around the polished walnut of the stock. There was a momentary
unease when one digit slid unerringly past the trigger guard, but
then it was out again without any harm being done.
That part of my duty successfully completed, I pulled the
small brass telescope from my belt and leveled it at the beast. A
moment later the head of the bull wobbled into view. He was big
to the naked eye at a hundred yards, but massive in the lens, his
great horns jutting up and down while he grazed. We were
downwind of him and, so far, unsighted.
Lord Brampton leveled the great rifle at the brute and
sited down the shiny blue steel of the twin barrels.
“Head will look good in the gunroom, what?” His
lordship rumbled confidently in a voice too loud to be a whisper.
The rhino’s ears twitched, and I felt my grip on the telescope
tighten, but he was only flicking away some flies.
My own voice was a hoarse whistle as I cautioned His
Grace to silence.

“Nonsense,” he scoffed, “Trouble with you, Smithers,
you worry too much.”
I knew better, of course, but I also knew better than to
remonstrate further. My master was in one of his more
quarrelsome moods. It was always this way when his old wound
was bothering him.

To accent the point, an angry growl erupted from his
abdomen – the medical legacy of having so much of his
intestines removed at Balaclava.
The rhino’s ears twitched again, then centered; his great
head rising while he peered short-sightedly in our direction. I
found myself softly keening, willing Lord Brampton to pull the
trigger.
At last there was a deafening report as the gun
discharged. A few yards beyond and to the left of the beast a
large spurt of dust heralded the usual complete miss. With a
sinking heart, I focused back on him. When I did so, I saw that
he, in turn, was now focusing on me, his eyes wide with surprise.
Then angrily, they narrowed.
Oh dear.


Biography

Award winning author, C. W. Lovatt, is the creator of the critically acclaimed Josiah Stubb, along with the best selling Charlie Smithers collection. Adventures Downunder is the third book in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet