Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

19 September 2019

Liars & Lunatics in Goose Pimple Junction Book Spotlight! @authoramymetz



Title: Liars & Lunatics in Goose Pimple Junction
Author: Amy Metz
Genre: Cozy mystery
Series: Goose Pimple Junction Mysteries, book 5
Print length: 246 pages-paperback

It’s election season, and there’s a new candidate in town. Virgil Pepper is determined to take the job from Goose Pimple Junction’s long-time mayor. Virgil is a charming and charismatic candidate but someone who will say anything (and mean none of it) to get what he wants. Three things top his list: to become mayor, to acquire Jackson Wright’s land, and to make Caledonia Culpepper one of his many conquests.

Wynona Baxter is back, and she’s a new woman. Now Daisy has a new identity, new life, and new business–ironically named Killer Cupcakes. But the town soon finds out that isn’t the only kind of killer in town. Book five of the Goose Pimple Junction mystery series combines political hijinks, delicious cupcakes, Goose Juice moonshine, the ups and downs of finding true love, and, of course, murder.

It is said that “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.” Lying in politics, lying for personal and professional gain, lying about an identity . . . What are the folks of Goose Pimple Junction willing to lie for . . . and what are they willing to die for?


Prologue
He entered the territory of lies without a passport for return.
 –Graham Greene

Caledonia was resplendent in a hot pink sweater and black slacks as she walked into Slick & Junebug’s Diner after getting her boys, Pickle—a high school senior—off to work and Peanut—a sixth grader—off to a friend’s house. It was her habit to stop in every morning before she went to open up the dress shop she owned. Her day didn’t really get started until she’d had her morning gossip and cup of coffee. This morning, the place was buzzing. With a smile and a wave, she scooted past the regulars—two old men, Clive and Earl—at their usual place at the counter and joined her best friend, Paprika Parker, in a window booth. They liked that spot so they could see what was going on in the town square while they drank their coffee and talked about town happenings. 
Paprika could read Caledonia like a book. “What’s wrong?”
“No good morning? You’re just gonna jump right in?” Caledonia uprighted her coffee cup on its saucer.
“Might as well. I can see something’s up.”
“Is it that obvious?” Caledonia’s brow furrowed.
“Stop frowning. You’ll form wrinkles. And yes, to me it’s that obvious. Now for the last time, out with it.”
“Oh for heaven’s sake. All right.” She let out a heavy sigh. “Virgil made another play for me last night.” 
“After all you’ve done to make it clear there will never be anything between you again? Why doesn’t the man ever give up?”
Caledonia’s hand went up to stop her friend. “It’s a power play. He wants to be the dump-er instead of the dump-ee. Don’t worry. I didn’t give in. What I did give him was what for. You woulda been proud of me, Spice Girl.” Caledonia had long ago given the nickname to her friend, even though she was always tempted to call her Pippi because she resembled an adult Pippi Longstocking. Caledonia hunched her shoulders and leaned in, slightly sheepish but a touch defiant. She cupped her hand to the side of her mouth and whispered, “I hauled off and whacked him over the head with a tennis racket.”
Paprika sat up straight, her eyes bugging out behind her glasses. “You did not.” 
“I most certainly did. Admittedly, it was a reflexive action, but upon reflection I’m glad I did it. Say, it didn’t by any chance rain last night, did it?” Caledonia wound some of her long blonde hair around a finger. 
“Not that I’m aware. What do you mean a reflexive action?”
“I’d told him to take a hike and walked away from him. When he came up behind me and grabbed my left arm, my right arm reacted. I tell you what, he dropped like a bag of flour.”
Paprika broke out in a huge grin. “I wish I’d been there to see that.”
The women were laughing when owner, waitress, and half namesake of the diner, Junebug Calloway, came to the table. She had a crease in her septuagenarian forehead.  
“Junebug, don’t do that. It’ll make your forehead permanently wrinkled.” Caledonia held out her coffee cup.
“I just thought you’d be a might subdued this morning, Caledonia, what with the news and all. I know that man did you wrong, but laughing at a time like this? I’m a might surprised is all.” She finished filling the cup and set the pot on the table, hands on her hips.
The two women exchanged bewildered looks before directing their confusion toward Junebug. “What news?” they asked simultaneously.
Junebug’s mouth dropped open, and she got a gleam in her eye. She loved to be the first one to pass on a bit of gossip. “You mean you haven’t heard?”
Again, both women were in sync. “Heard what?” 
“‘Bout Virgil.” 
The women stared at her blankly. 
“He got stamped ‘return to sender.’”
Return to sender?” Caledonia’s hand went to her throat. “You don’t mean . . . ”
Junebug nodded. “I do mean. He’s picking turnips with a stepladder now.”
Caledonia’s head bobbed from side to side. “That’s ridiculous. I just saw him yesterday afternoon.”
“You didn’t conk him over the head, did you?” Junebug chuckled but stopped when she saw the look that passed between the women. 
“What do you mean, Junebug?” Caledonia’s mouth had gone dry.
“Well, somebody did. Bopped him on that thick noggin of his. Now they’re basting that turkey in formaldehyde.” As an afterthought, she added, “May he rest in peace.”
Junebug’s eyes went from woman to woman. “Listen, I hate to deliver bad news and run, but I’m in the weeds. Look at this crowd. Nothing like a good murder to bring out the townsfolk.” She held up a finger to a man two booths away. “Be right there, Chet.” Returning her eyes to Caledonia, she said, “Anything besides coffee today, ladies?”
Caledonia shook her head with a vacant expression on her face. 
“Bring us two chocolate iced donuts, Junebug,” Paprika said.
Junebug nodded. “It looks like y’all could use a pick-me-up. Two life preservers, coming up.” 
When Junebug left, the women stared at each other, both instinctively closing their mouths when they saw the other’s wide open. Caledonia swallowed hard. Paprika covered her mouth with her hand.
Finally, Caledonia leaned in and whispered, “You don’t think I killed him, do you?” Sitting back, she answered her own question, “I killed him. I sent the man to be with Jesus.”
“Now, Caledonia, don’t go getting ahead of yourself. And I doubt it’s Jesus he’s keeping company with if you ask me.”
“You heard her. Someone conked him over the head. That someone was me.” Caledonia poked her chest with a finger. “I offed a man. I’m a stone-cold killer. What will happen to the children?”
Paprika grabbed her friend’s hand. “Hush it. Not another word until we find out more. And talk to a lawyer.”
“I don’t know if a lawyer will talk to me. After all, I just killed my last one.”
“Caledonia Culpepper, get ahold of yourself.”
Caledonia stared blankly and muttered, “You take care of the boys until Mother can get here.”
“Take care of the boys? What are you talking about?” 
Caledonia slid out of the booth.
“Where are you going?” 
 “I reckon to jail.” She walked to the counter where Johnny Butterfield, the chief of police, sat. Offering him her wrists, she said, “Lock me up, Chief. I’m a murderer.”


Amy Metz attended Centre College and graduated from the University of Kentucky with a BA in Elementary Education. She taught first grade until her first child was born and then motherhood and volunteer work took up her time. When her mother was diagnosed with dementia in 2009, she turned to writing as therapy. Needing an escape from life and from the memoir, and desperately needing to laugh, she began writing a humorous southern mystery that eventually became Murder & Mayhem in Goose Pimple Junction, and an author was born.

Amy has been richly blessed with two sons – one married and one pursuing his master's degree – and a daughter-in-law. When not actively engaged in writing or spending time with her family, Amy can usually be found with a mixing spoon, camera, or book in her hands. Amy's debut novel, Murder & Mayhem in Goose Pimple Junction, was first published in August 2012, with the second edition released in September 2014. Heroes & Hooligans in Goose Pimple Junction followed in December 2014, and Short & Tall Tales in Goose Pimple Junction was published in 2015. Rogues & Rascals in Goose Pimple Junction launched in May 2016. Amy lives in Louisville, Kentucky. 
Contact her at: authoramymetz@yahoo.com
Visit Amy's blog at: A Blue Million Books.

2 comments:

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet