Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

19 September 2019

Palm Trees in the Pyreness will be FREE on 16th – 20th Sept 2019! @rararesources

Palm Trees in the Pyrenees 

A rookie cop, a dash of mysterious death, and a heap of suspicion – as the heat rises, lethal tensions boil over in the Pyrenees. 

Unappreciated, unnoticed, and passed over for promotion, thirty-year-old Danielle’s fledgling career in law enforcement is going nowhere – until the unexpected death of a hated Englishman turns her small town upside down.

 Set in the idyllic south of France, Palm Trees in the Pyrenees is the first whodunit novel in Elly Grant's thrilling murder mystery series. Against a background of prejudice, jealousy, and greed, Danielle pieces together the sparse clues of a fractured homicide. But will she find enough evidence to solve the case – and get the recognition she deserves? 


To find out, get your copy of ‘Palm Trees in the Pyrenees’ – right now. 

Purchase Links http://mybook.to/palmtrees

Introduction Danielle is a policewoman and is the main character of the book. She is attending the funeral of Stephen Gold, who fell to his death from a top floor balcony of a residential building in town. Although he was a much-hated, English businessman, most of the town have turned out to see him off as all are curious and seeking the opportunity to gossip. 

Extract 
*** “May I pour you some wine, Officer? You’re not on duty are you?” 

The voice startles me and I turn to see a slim, slightly built man proffering a bottle and a glass. He smiles at me and his face reminds me of a snake, with taut skin, thin lips and narrow eyes. His pupils are like cold, steel pinheads. His bald head accentuates this look. It is Kurt. 

This Dutchman unnerves me like no other person can. There is something sly and dangerous about him. He smiles with his mouth but not with his eyes, in the same way that SS officers are depicted in films. I’ve known Kurt for four years having first met him at the Mairie when he arrived from Holland. He is another foreign, benefit parasite and he has a serious alcohol problem. Though he passes me in the street most days, this is the first time he has engaged me in conversation. 

“Thank you Kurt,” I reply. “I’m not on duty at the moment so I will have a glass please.” 

He places the empty wine glass in my hand and fills it almost to the top with red wine. I prefer there to be some space in the glass to make it easier to hold and to allow the wine to breathe for a moment or two. But instead, I find myself having to sip it immediately to take the level down and make it less likely to spill. 

“Did he jump or was he pushed, ha, ha?” he laughs. 

What a strange thing to say I think, particularly as we are at the man’s funeral. 

“I’m assuming you are talking about Steven Gold,” I reply coldly then continue, “I guess that’s something for the detective leading the investigation to find out. Why do you think he may have been pushed?”

 “No particular reason,” he says, still grinning menacingly, “Just making small talk.” 

I say nothing else but stand and sip my wine expecting him to move away, but he does not.

 “Perhaps we should talk,” he says.

 “About anything in particular or do you just like my company?” 

I reply cheekily. He scowls at me before continuing, “I just might have some information of interest to you.” 

“Information about what?” I ask.

 “I believe you were in the apartment block at the time of the man’s death. Do you know something about the incident?”

 “Perhaps indirectly,” he says slowly. “I know some things about Rosa that might be important,” he continues.

 “Rosa?” I question “What has Rosa got to do with this?”

 “I’ll tell you,” he replies, “but not here and not now. Perhaps we can meet in the café at Corsavy tomorrow. Tuesday’s your day off isn’t it? The day that all criminals are safe,” he mocks. He leans forward and whispers in my ear, “Maybe you could buy me breakfast and I’ll tell you what I know,” he offers. 

Having just made the arrangement to see Belinda, I won’t be having a day off this week, but I’ve no wish to correct him. He makes my skin crawl. I consider what he’s said for a moment and I’m intrigued. Why would he want to discuss Rosa? She’s his girlfriend after all and they seem very close. I’m curious to hear what he has to say but I’m nervous about meeting him. Do I really want to be seen alone with this horrible man?

 Finally, I decide that I’m more curious than repelled by him and I say, “I will meet you tomorrow, but you can buy me breakfast as it is you who wishes to speak to me. We can get together at 9 o’clock.” 

“Very well, Madame,” he says, smirking. “You drive a hard bargain, until tomorrow then.” 

With that he clicks his heels, gives a small bow then turns and walks across the room to join Rosa. I wonder what that was all about, I think. 

How strange how very, very strange. ***

Palm Trees in the Pyreness will be FREE on 16th – 20th Sept 2019

 https://www.creativia.org/palm-trees-in-the-pyrenees.html 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ITJ51MA/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ITJ51MA/ 



Author Bio 
Hi, my name is Elly Grant and I like to kill people. I use a variety of methods. Some I drop from a great height, others I drown, but I've nothing against suffocation, poisoning or simply battering a person to death. As long as it grabs my reader's attention, I'm satisfied. 

I've written several novels and short stories. My first novel, 'Palm Trees in the Pyrenees' is set in a small town in France. It is the first book of my ‘Death in the Pyrenees series and they are all published by Creativia. The others in the series are, 'Grass Grows in the Pyrenees’, ’Red Light in the Pyrenees’, ’Dead End in the Pyrenees', 'Deadly Degrees in the Pyrenees' and ‘Hanging Around in the Pyrenees’. Creativia has also published my grittier crime novels set in Glasgow, 'The Unravelling of Thomas Malone' and 'The Coming of the Lord' as well as my thriller, ‘Death at Presley Park’. Also published are my Romance 'Never Ever Leave Me, as well as a collaboration on the quirky black comedy 'But Billy Can't Fly' and short stories called 'Twists and Turns'.

 As I live much of the year in a small French town in the Eastern Pyrenees, I get inspiration from the way of life and the colourful characters I come across. I don't have to search very hard to find things to write about and living in the most prolific wine producing region in France makes the task so much more delightful. 

When I first arrived in this region I was lulled by the gentle pace of life, the friendliness of the people and the simple charm of the place. But dig below the surface and, like people and places the world over, the truth begins to emerge. Petty squabbles, prejudice, jealousy and greed are all there waiting to be discovered. Oh, and what joy in that discovery. So, as I sit in a café, or stroll by the riverside, or walk high into the mountains in the sunshine, I greet everyone I meet with a smile and a 'Bonjour' and, being a friendly place, they return the greeting. I people-watch as I sip my wine or when I go to buy my baguette. I discover quirkiness and quaintness around every corner. I try to imagine whether the subjects of my scrutiny are nice or nasty and, once I've decided, some of those unsuspecting people, a very select few, I kill. 

Perhaps you will visit my town one day. Perhaps you will sit near me in a café or return my smile as I walk past you in the street. Perhaps you will hold my interest for a while, and maybe, just maybe, you will be my next victim. But don't concern yourself too much, because, at least for the time being, I always manage to confine my murderous ways to paper.

 Read books from the 'Death in the Pyrenees' series, enter my small French town and meet some of the people who live there ----- and die there. Alternatively read about life on some of the hardened streets of Glasgow or for something different try my other books and short stories. 


Social Media Links 
www.facebook.com/elly.grant.92 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet