Reviews!

I am still having a difficult time concentrating on reading a book, I hope to get back into it at some point. Still doing book promotions just not reviews Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly July 2024

17 September 2019

The Last Chapter by Michelle Alstead Book Tour! Read the Excerpt!


Emma Barton is drowning. A single mother of a son with a genius-level IQ and Autism, she’s given up on love to focus on the child who needs her. Her writing aspirations—the only dream she hasn't abandoned—withers as her latest novel bombs, and she’s dropped by her publisher. Ethan Wise, an A-list actor, wants an Oscar, but he’d settle for being something other than a romantic comedy lead or a beefcake superhero. Discovering Emma’s novel happened by chance, but it could also be his opportunity to finally become a serious actor. When Ethan seeks Emma out to buy the movie rights to her novel, they fall so passionately in love their lives are turned upside down. Emma wants to be with Ethan, but there’s her son to consider and the secrets she’s kept to protect him. She’ll do anything to keep her little boy’s world safe and happy. She’d even give up the love of her life. 

  Buy on Amazon or read for FREE in Kindle Unlimited 

Read an Excerpt!

 “Emmy!”
Her boss’s high-pitched voice rang out across the office, bringing everything and everyone to a halt.
Emma stood up, peering over the cubicle wall. Should she answer? What if her new boss wasn’t calling to her, and she ended up looking like a moron on her fifth day? Emma waved her hand to catch the attention of Veronica, the young administrative assistant staring at her phone in the cubicle across from hers.
“Hey,” Emma hissed.
Veronica pointed to her earbuds and smirked.
Emma gritted her teeth and pointed in the direction of the boss lady’s office.
Veronica pulled one earbud out. “What do you want?”
“She called for Emmy. Do you think she means me?”
“I don’t know. Is your name Emmy?”
“No, it’s Emma, but that’s close—”
Veronica rolled her eyes. “If your name isn’t Emmy, then she didn’t mean you.”
“But it’s just so close to my name, and I’m new. She could easily think my name is Emmy and not Emma. Surely someone has called you Veronique at least once.”
“Nope.” The young woman yawned. “I need to get back to work.”
“What work? You were on your phone. You’re always on your phone.”
“I’m processing in my own way. I don’t judge you for your hair choices, so don’t judge me for how I process.”
Welcome to your mid-thirties, Emma, where suddenly you’re old and lame.
Her hands went to her hair. The loose bun was a mistake. Clearly, Cosmo was wrong, and updos weren’t making a comeback. Even after scrolling through Instagram while hiding in the bathroom from JD for an hour, Emma wasn’t sure what was trendy. There were too many looks and styles to sift through. She’d gone with her only decent pair of jeans, a crisp white blouse, and a navy blazer. Granted, she’d had the blazer since the early aughts, but the look was still classy.
Perhaps the outfit was as big a mistake as taking the job. From the minute she’d walked into the office filled with people almost all still in their twenties, Emma had been floundering in the shallow end.
She frowned, her lower lip trembling. Without the job, there would be no healthcare for her son. They’d be back to where they were a year earlier—struggling to survive.
Veronica’s tone was sharp. “Are you about to cry?”
She bit her lower lip. “No.”
“You look like you’re about to, and this is a place of business.” Her co-worker gestured to the surrounding office. “We’re one of the best marketing firms in the mountain west region. How would it look if the oldest person in the office was crying on her first day?”
“It’s my fifth day. Not my first.”
“What’s the difference? Either way, you’re bombing worse than Ben Affleck as Batman.”
Emma’s eyes widened as she mumbled, “I liked his Batman.”
“You would.” Veronica flipped her hair. “My point is: do not bring your personal drama into the workplace. I just got dumped by my friend with benefits and you don’t see me crying at my desk, because I’m a professional.” Veronica turned away, suddenly engrossed with whatever was on her computer screen.
Emma sank down into her chair. “Right, no one wants to hear about my problems.” She studied her blank computer screen and blinked away tears.
Don’t take it personally. She doesn’t know you or what you’ve had to give up. Deep breaths. It will all be okay.
“But it’s never okay,” she muttered. “Just write the piece. Don’t think about the rest.” Slowly, Emma’s fingers tapped out words across the empty screen.
Writing fitness and nutrition articles for a startup marketing firm wasn’t the dream. But there were medical bills and a tiny house with a mortgage to pay. It’s still writing, she reasoned. You’ve got this. Just write about the vitamins.


No comments:

Post a Comment

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet