Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

14 November 2021

The Notorious Noel Caper (Sandy Fairfax Teen Idol Mysteries) by Sally Carpenter Book Tour!

The Notorious Noel Caper (Sandy Fairfax Teen Idol Mysteries) by Sally Carpenter

About The Notorious Noel Caper

The Notorious Noel Caper (Sandy Fairfax Teen Idol Mysteries)

Cozy Mystery 5th in Series 

Publisher ‏ : ‎ Cozy Cat Press (August 18, 2021) 


Paperback ‏ : ‎ 235 pages 

ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 1952579317 

ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1952579318 

Digital ASIN ‏ : ‎ B09CN1W7V1

It’s Christmastime in Tinsel Town, and there’s plenty of ho-ho-homicide at the soon-to-open Santa’s Magic theme park, where bodies are dropping like snowflakes. Former pop star Sandy Fairfax has a killer job—he’s the emcee for the televised Miss North Pole beauty contest--er, scholarship pageant. But will the beautiful contestants make his girlfriend jealous? Or will she join him in his sleuthing? The deadly Christmas season begins at a celebrity bowling tournament when a pinsetter plops down a body instead of the pins. Throw in surfing Santas, a seductive executive's wife, a sleazy tabloid editor, an egotistical movie rival and a gift-wrapped death trap, and it’s the most wonderful time of the year.

 Book excerpt: (Sandy is on stage, rehearsing with the pageant contestants)

I glanced at the cue cards. The writers had no doubt penned my quips while drinking in a West Hollywood bar. My next line made me choke, but I obediently read it with as much passion as I could muster. “Well, Summer, sounds as if you’ll be busy buying quite a few presents this year for all of your folks. And when you’re not cracking the books at the university, what hobbies do you enjoy?”

Her lovely blue eyes gazed out past the camera and onto the cue cards that were flipped as she talked. “I have many interests, Sandy. I love taking long walks on the beach and collecting jazz albums and trying out new recipes and—”

We never heard about her other hobbies. Summer abruptly froze and gasped, as if choking. She threw her head and shoulders back. Her mouth hung open. Her eyes dilated. She pitched forward. I grabbed Summer just before she hit the floor. I knelt, put my mic on the stage, and set the girl down on her back. Her arms and legs were limp.

I was in shock. “Somebody call a doctor!”

“What’s going on down there?” Guy was in the control booth. His voice boomed—in stereo—over the loudspeakers along the wall.

I pressed my fingers against Summer’s neck. “I don’t feel a pulse!”

“Sandy, what are you doing? Tell Summer to stand up.”

Of course, Guy couldn’t hear me from inside the booth. I picked up my microphone and shouted into it. “Summer needs a doctor, now!”

Guy muttered some raw language and then declared that he was leaving his heavenly throne to join the peons on the floor. What he actually said was, “I’m coming down.”

“Call an ambulance before you do!” I added, before I put the mic on the floor.

But the poor girl was beyond hope. Summer’s head was twisted to one side. I reached behind her neck to move her head into a more dignified position. I felt a bump on her skin. I rotated her head to investigate.

A tiny red welt stood out against her light skin. 

The other contestant started to rushed onto the stage. I ordered them to stay back. The sight of a dead body might start a panic and raise some awkward questions that I couldn’t answer.

“What happened?” “Is she sick?” “Did she faint?” The girls kept their distance, but peppered me with questions.

I lied. “She . . . she passed out.”

Captain Lyons stormed in from the wings and stood over me. “Mr. Gower radioed me. I rushed right over. Is there a problem?”

“I would say so.” I kept my voice low so the contestants wouldn’t hear me. “Summer Attenberg is dead.”

“You’re qualified to make a medical diagnosis?”

“Does she look alive to you?”

Lyons dropped to one knee and examined the body. “What did you say her name was?”

“Summer Attenberg. She is—was—one of the Miss North Pole contestants. That’s all I know about her.”

Lyons eyed me. “Didn’t I see you on Sunday at the bowling alley when the actor died?”

“Well, yes, but that was just a coincidence.”

“I’ll be the judge of that. Seems odd that whenever you show up on the lot, something suspicious happens. Stand up.” As there was nothing more either of us could do to help Summer, we both got on our feet. “Tell me what happened.”

“The two of us were standing here talking, and she collapsed.”

“Did you strike her?”

“No! I never touched her. And there’s an odd red lump on her neck.”

“What do you mean?”

“Take a look.”

Lyons squatted again, ran her fingers along the body’s neck and stood. “It looks like a pimple.”

“Excuse me, captain, but girls in beauty contests do not have zits.”

“It could be an insect bite or an allergic reaction to something she ate.”

“Then how do you explain a perfectly healthy young girl dying in ten seconds?”

“Perhaps she had an undisclosed medical condition that might have disqualify her from the pageant. As for you, Mr. Fairfax, I’m still waiting to hear how you managed to show up alongside a second body in less than a week.”

“I broke a mirror and got seven years of bad luck.”

Guy had finally descended from the heavens to join us. “Glen says the police and paramedics are on their way.” He took a long look at the body, then stared at the contestants huddled at the far side of the stage. Guy finally got his brain working and dismissed us for the rest of the day, but said we should return tomorrow at our regular call time.

“Aren’t you canceling the pageant?” I asked. Not only would that be the proper thing to do out of respect for the deceased, but would also get me away from the looney director.

“No reason why we should,” said Guy. “We can’t stop production just because one contestant has a health condition.”

“This young lady has a death condition!” I said.

Lyons spotted the cameras, then turned to the director. “I need to see the footage of the girl falling down.”

“Sorry, captain,” said Guy. “This is just a rehearsal. We’re not recording.”

Lyons eyed me. “So, we only have your word on what happened.” 

This seemed like a good time to involve my Fifth Amendment right to remain silent, so I said nothing.

About Sally Carpenter

 
 Sally Carpenter is a native Hoosier living in Southern California. She has a master’s degree in theater from Indiana State University. While in school, her plays “Star Collector” and “Common Ground” were finalists in the American College Theater Festival One-Act Playwrighting Competition. “Common Ground” also earned a college creative writing award. “Star Collector” was produced in New York City and served as the inspiration for her Sandy Fairfax series. Sally also has a Master of Divinity and a black belt in tae kwon do. She’s worked as an actress, college writing instructor, jail chaplain and tour guide/page for Paramount Pictures. Her first book, The Baffled Beatlemaniac Caper, was a 2012 Eureka! Award finalist for best first mystery novel. She has published five books in the Sandy Fairfax Teen Idol series and two books the Psychedelic Spy series, Flower Power Fatality and Hippie Haven Homicide. She penned chapter three of the group mystery Chasing the Codex. She has short stories in three anthologies: “Dark Nights at the Deluxe Drive-in” in Last Exit to Murder; and “Faster Than a Speeding Bullet” in Plan B: Omnibus as well as a Sandy Fairfax adventure, “The Puzzling Puppet Show Caper,” in Cozy Cat Shorts.

  Social media links: 
  Website: http://sandyfairfaxauthor.com 
  Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sally.carpenter.54 
  Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4060138.Sally_Carpenter 

  Purchase Link - Amazon 

TOUR PARTICIPANTS
November 8 – I'm All About Books – SPOTLIGHT
November 8 – FUONLYKNEW – SPOTLIGHT
November 9 – Here's How It Happened – SPOTLIGHT
November 10 – Socrates Book Reviews – SPOTLIGHT
November 10 – Literary Gold – AUTHOR INTERVIEW
November 11 – Brooke Blogs – SPOTLIGHT
November 11 – Escape With Dollycas Into A Good Book – AUTHOR INTERVIEW
November 12 – I Read What You Write - REVIEW, GUEST POST
November 13 – Maureen's Musings – SPOTLIGHT
November 14 – Celticlady's Reviews – SPOTLIGHT
November 15 – Elizabeth McKenna - Author – SPOTLIGHT
November 15 – Sapphyria's Book Reviews – GUEST POST
November 16 – Mysteries with Character – AUTHOR INTERVIEW
November 16 – Reading, Writing & Stitch-Metic – SPOTLIGHT
November 17 – BookishKelly2020 - SPOTLIGHT
November 17 – fundinmental – SPOTLIGHT Have you signed up to be a Tour Host? Click Here to Find Details and Sign Up Today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet