Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

03 May 2023

Mentors and Tormentors by Tim Jones, M.D. Book Tour! @Bookgal @therealbookgal

 

During a span of four inquisitive years, Wendall, an overly curious teen, has his view of the

world transformed by a colorful cast of small-town characters. Some are mentors; others are

tormentors. However, each one thoroughly comprehends a specific facet of human nature:

happiness, manipulation, and saying no, just to name a few. 


But Wendall isn't just a passive student. He gets his hands dirty when his father transplants

the family to a rundown farm and soon finds himself up against a sadistic psychopath, a con

man, and a close friend who has attempted suicide. 


Wendall's adventures add some fun and entertainment, which balance and reinforce the

seriousness of the lessons being taught throughout the story.


On writing:


How did you do research for your book? 

No formal research. I pulled everything from my experiences and people I have met.


Which was the hardest character to write? The easiest? 

Hardest: Mrs. Brown – a combination of several incredible women.  

Easiest: Rance Hill – an unforgettable, real-life monster.


How did you come up with the idea for your book?

The idea of the book came from patients asking me in the ER from what book I learned the 3Bs (my own description of manipulation). I wrote my book for people like them – struggling to deal effectively with other people in their lives.


Where do you get inspiration for your stories? 

Helping others and the potential to help people I will never know.


There are many books out there about self-help. What makes yours different? 

Most self-help books are full of good advice and information but they are mundane and read like a college psychology text – not fun or particularly enjoyable to read. I have implanted my self-help lessons in a story line with memorable characters. Remember the characters, and you will remember the lessons.


What advice would you give budding writers? 

Write and then rewrite and then refine it again. The more you write and review sometimes-embarrassing edited versions of your work, the better writer you will become.


Your book is set in Benson, Kansas. Have you ever been there? 

It is set in a fictional town. I grew up in a town in northwest Oklahoma very similar to Benson.


In your book you state: The ability to say no is the most important skill in life.

Why is that? Because it is true.


If you could put yourself as a character in your book, who would you be? 

Wendall Nichols of course.


Do you have another profession besides writing? 

I am an ER physician.





How long have you been writing? 

My first version of this book was written in 2008. It was terrible. In 2020, I got serious and changed the format completely. I must have written the equivalent of three books before finally getting the final product.


Do you ever get writer’s block? What helps you overcome it?  

Yes. Two cures: 1) Just type down the thoughts of whatever topic you are confronting without worrying about coming up with the perfect line. You can always sift through it later. 2) Walk on a treadmill and think about what you want to say. Then stop and jot down lines or segments of lines as needed. 


What is your next project? 

A follow up book: Mentors and Tormentors in Medicine – the story of Wendall’s medical school and residency adventures.


What genre do you write and why? 

Self-help, to help others


What is the last great book you’ve read?

 Flight Plan by Brian Tracy


What is a favorite compliment you have received on your writing? 

“I want my kids to read this book.”


How are you similar to or different from your lead character? 

Pretty close. My temper is a little worse.


If your book were made into a movie, who would star in the leading roles? 

Wendall: an unknown sixteen-year-old nerd

Mrs. Brown: Whoopi Goldberg

Shorty: Danny Devito

Slick n’ Greasy: Christopher Walken


If your book were made into a movie, what songs would be on the soundtrack? 

Respect by Aretha Franklin. 


What were the biggest rewards and challenges with writing your book? 

Biggest reward: the genuine, appreciative feedback from readers. 

Biggest challenge: finding the time to write.


In one sentence, what was the road to publishing like? 

A journey of patience, frustration, and persistence.


What is one piece of advice you would give to an aspiring author? 

Always focus on your readers and what information or emotions you want to convey to them.


Which authors inspired you to write? 

Earl Nightingale, Tony Robbins, Wayne Dyer, Brian Tracy.


What is something you had to cut from your book that you wish you could have kept? 

The “Everyone can be broken!” lesson from a Vietnam veteran. I had to limit the book to 75,000 words. I will have to include it on the website as a bonus chapter.



On rituals:


Do you snack while writing? 

No snacking. I don’t even drink coffee.


Where do you write? 

In my small study.


Do you write every day? 

No. I work ER shifts ranging from 12 to 72 hours long.


What is your writing schedule? 

2-4 days a week for 1-3 hours at a time.


Is there a specific ritualistic thing you do during your writing time? 

Nope.


In today’s tech savvy world, most writers use a computer or laptop. Have you ever written parts of your book on paper? 

Oh yes. I have been known to jump off the treadmill or pull over on the side of the road while driving to jot down a phrase of a couple of lines that popped into my head.


If you’re a mom writer, how do you balance your time? 

I could never work as hard as most moms.


Fun stuff:


If you could go back in time, where would you go? 

Back to ancient Babylon. I could grow penicillin mold on bread and become Nebuchadnezzar’s personal physician. Of course, I would have Mentors and Tormentors written on clay tablets (in English and Babylonian) to be discovered centuries later and published today. 


Favorite travel spot? 

Disney World in Florida


Favorite dessert? 

Chocolate cake – any type.


If you were stuck on a deserted island, which 3 books would you want with you?  

One Thousand and One Ways to Escape from a Deserted Island by Paul Rudd, The Joy of Alone Time by Suzy Sheffield, and The Holy Bible.


What’s the funniest thing that ever happened to you? The scariest? The strangest? 

The funniest thing I ever did was intentionally mark my computer answer sheet wrong on every answer of a chemistry test after learning just before the test that my “friends” had been cheating off me during previous tests. After they all turned in their computer sheets, I used my #2 pencil to “correct” my sheet. I made a 100% and they all got zeros. I never told them what happened, and of course they couldn’t admit or explain why they flunked the test without a single, correct multiple choice answer.

The scariest: I nearly died at age sixteen in a bunk house fire when the water-cooled air conditioner jammed during the middle of the night. I have no idea why I woke up in time to drag my unconscious brother out the door.

The strangest: A patient who died in the ER and was brought back by CPR and cardioversion somehow saw his four-year-old granddaughter in a neon purple, yellow polka dot dress in the waiting room.  She and her parents arrived while I was coding the old man in an isolated trauma room. He hated that dress. The second he was revived; he began cussing about her being out in the waiting room in that polka dot “clown dress.” 


What’s the most courageous thing you’ve ever done? 

Refuse to disown all my family and join the “enmeshed” (psychiatrist’s description) personality cult of my mother-in-law. I divorced her brain-washed daughter instead.


Any hobbies? 

I collect coins – primarily pennies. I have since I was in elementary school.


If there is one thing you want readers to remember about you, what would it be? 

That above all else, I want them to respect themselves – always and no matter what.


What is something you've learned about yourself during the pandemic? 

I have very little tolerance for misinformation and blind allegiance to quack medical cures and treatments.


What TV series are you currently binge watching? 

Picard


What is your theme song?  

Three songs: Respect Yourself by The Staple Singers; You Can Do Magic by America; and Respect by Aretha Franklin.


What is your favorite thing to do in spring or summer? Pour concrete (for our trash dumpster, gate pads, etc. 

All other seasons – cook fajitas, tacos, sweet & sour chicken and parmesan chicken.


What is a favorite holiday tradition (or memory)? 

Putting out the Christmas lights in the yard. It takes two days.


What song is currently playing on a loop in your head? 

None


What is something that made you laugh recently? 

An SNL skit of The Last Supper and Trump


What is your go-to breakfast item? 

Raisin bread.


What is the oldest item of clothing you own? 

An overcoat from 1988 – which I have worn exactly twice.


Tell us about your longest friendship. 

My older brother, Mark. I have known him my entire life. He was responsible for the first spanking I can remember from my parents. Mark convinced me to run away with him when I was three (he was four and a half). We made it about one block from the house before being re-captured.


What is the strangest way you've become friends with someone?

Literally ran into and knocked down a girl on a college campus sidewalk. Months later, she admitted to causing the collision on purpose in order to meet me. 


Who was your childhood celebrity crush? 

Jaclyn Smith of Charlie’s Angels. Sorry, not Farrah Fawcett. 



Tim Jones, M.D.  is a board certified family physician currently practicing full-time ER medicine in rural Texas. He is happily married with four grown daughters and five grandsons. He and his wife also have a toy poodle, who has more followers than Tim on his Facebook account. He enjoys fine art acrylic painting, but it has recently taken a back seat to his pursuit of writing. 


Website: http://www.MentorsAndTormentors.com


Amazon: https://amzn.to/3AfaMKj


Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/113102357-mentors-and-tormentors


Praise:


“An inspiring story about a teenage boy, Wendall, and his journey to discovering the importance of self-respect and understanding of human nature. The book is full of life lessons, stories of kindness and empathy, as well as a serious look into the issue of bullying. It is a great read for all ages, full of heartwarming moments and valuable lessons."

–  Johnston316, OnlineBookClub.org 


"I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend it to young adults and lovers of books that share life lessons through short tales." 

– Roy Nick, OnlineBookClub.org


Giveaway!


Tim will be sending a signed copy to a winner in the US or Canada. Please leave details!







No comments:

Post a Comment

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet