Reviews!

To any authors/publishers/ tour companies that are looking for the reviews that I signed up for please know this is very hard to do. I will be stopping reviews temporarily. My husband passed away February 1st and my new normal is a bit scary right now and I am unable to concentrate on a book to do justice to the book and authors. I will still do spotlight posts if you wish it is just the reviews at this time. I apologize for this, but it isn't fair to you if I signed up to do a review and haven't been able to because I can't concentrate on any books. Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time. I appreciate all of you. Kathleen Kelly April 2nd 2024

30 January 2024

Civil Twilight by Anique Sara Taylor Spotlight and Guest Post!


Anique Sara Taylor's chapbook Civil Twilight is Winner of the 2022 Blue Light Poetry Prize. As the sun sinks 6 ̊ below the horizon at dawn or dusk, it's 5:30am/pm someplace in the world. In thirty shimmering poems (30 words/5 lines each), Civil Twilight probes borders of risk across a landscape of thunderstorms, quill-shaped mist, falcons that soar, the hope of regeneration, a compass to the center. Tightly hewn poems ring with rhythm and sound, follow ghosts who relentlessly weave through a journey of grief toward ecstasy.


Spinning words seek to unhinge inner wounds among seashells and hostile mirrors, eagles and cardinals––to enter "the infinity between atoms," hear the invisible waltz. Even the regrets. The search for an inner silhouette becomes a quest for shards of truth, as she asks the simple question, "What will you take with you?"

Advance Praise:

Taylor’s award-winning collection is mesmerizing. 30 poems, 30 words each shimmer with a refined intensity at once both taut and expansive... her emotional richness is as lyric as it is restrained. —Leslie T. Sharpe, Author of The Quarry Fox and Other Critters of the Wild Catskills

Experience each poem, woven [with] great intimacy and rare musicality... Read all 30 poems aloud in sequence and feel yourself transformed. ––Sharon Israel, Host of Planet Poet, Words in Space Radio Show and Podcast

Civil Twilight is a stunningly crafted sequence of small poems...keenly attuned to the language of the natural world and all the mysteries that come with it.
—Sean Nevin, Author of Oblivio Gate

The Living Thing About a Book Project


How a Form Can Grow


The constraints that created the form for my book Civil Twilight unfolded slowly. I was writing a full-length non-fiction book involving a daily walk into town, the river, grocery store, lottery tickets, the passing of seasons and time of day. Exploring, I discovered three designations of twilight. Civil twilight is when the sun is below the horizon and it’s neither light nor dark. My father had died while swimming in a Caribbean bay at twilight. He’d been a maritime lawyer. 5/30 was a marker number for someone who was dear to me. 


I’d been writing long poems with extended lines. In researching, I became curious to see whether I could create a golden nugget, as if distilling a long phrase into a compressed section. Would that work? A vision began to grow from these walks, of a 30-page chapbook. 30 poems. 5 lines / 30 words each. My father’s ghost would weave through it, along with reverberations of difficult issues I was dealing with. Without naming them, I could use nature metaphors to reflect something truer.


I collected these nuggets until there were enough to choose from, to fashion an arc for a book. It happened in an instant. It happened across days, across months and years. As some books do.


Excerpts From Civil Twilight:

~

Sycamore’s unearthly branches penetrate

haze, peeling back nerves of velvet mountains

~

How calendars can entangle us so gradually.

~

Swollen pop of hollow reed, blushing

bones brake naked through bedrock crust

~


The Gift of a Long Book Project 


I love to see something grow—-a garden, blog, relationship, career. Almost anything that can be embraced with a long view of making it my own. What I can tend, move forward into growth, despite high waves, speed bumps, business, illness, break-ups. 


How a Project Can Start


After months of morning writing practice, I began to notice unexpected ideas that would shine and flicker in sideways without warning. A quick thought, a tiny stinging thing, a foggy promise, then they would vanish. What if I could catch them, write them down, collect them. Would anything grow?


Some projects flare out of nowhere, like a Roman candle across the sky in a single swoop. Others seep in quietly as I go about my life. Some develop studiously from notes and research I’m wading through. I try to collect all of them in folders. 


Seasons of a Book


An idea often begins pristine, perfectly newborn. Whether a complete project or individual part, this time it’s perfect, it will soar problem free. I ride this glorious inspiration that keeps going until I’ve gone past myself, entering a waking dream-space. 


What Was I Thinking? 


The next day, back on Earth again, I’m wandering around, lost in an empty field. Although this may feel the most daunting, here’s where the envelope opens. Where curiosity welcomes in possibility, where the work is. Love of words, story, craft, sound. The process of following interest toward fascination.


Writing Practice


Is there a place in our heart/mind/gut that can signal that something is working? More importantly, is there a warning that something is not working? I try to copy the tools of a detective, a drummer, a saint. Working gradually, patiently, I examine and re-arrange. I try to trust in fierce judgement without being afraid of letting words cut deep. Include confusion, doubt, details of both hesitancy and glory, until something even higher and deeper than self enters and uncovers what is most true.


Rewrite 


After writing hot, deep, inside the work, I return again. Now I’m all editor, all sceptic. I cycle around it, cold. Return to what’s inside the envelope. What still holds.


Like a process of building with modeling clay, I add, subtract, move, mold. Trying to turn non-magic into magic; as if letting go of what I’d held onto so tightly, could allow the work to shape into what it always needed to be. I smooth it until I can understand the arc that carries it through.


Word Replacement


I love to shop for words most needed for color/imagery/meaning. What’s fresh that’s never been heard before. What opens up into a newer truth or drops a perfect word into a line. I shop the smorgasbord of internet word collections. There are enough online now to bring any project alive. Then tweak and re-tweak again.


Excerpts From Longer Poems:

 From my book: Where Space Bends, Finishing Line Press:

~

Somewhere a phone rings as if time

had suspended us in a perfect circle

~

Gunmetal sky, dark matter begins

to form in elongated wisps.

~

Even shade-soaked impatiens unhook their double

wings as if only they could awaken their dead

~

I will my hinged heart to creak open. Rubble 

from generations spills across the soft skin of earth.

~

Half alone, I weave a cocoon of my hair, bloodroot

mixed with bitter melon seed, the house of skin we wear.

~


The Book Project


If you let the long relationship of making a book weave through the days of your work over time, let it nourish and sustain you like a best friend. Some parts may come easily. If other stages are more challenging, I hope you will get support, learn to hone new tools. Become fascinated. Be brave enough to write as if this were where you’d always wanted to be. Trust in the magic enough to let life open in ways you’d never expected. Go so deep inside writing that it could make your words come alive, for a distant waiting stranger.





No comments:

Post a Comment

AddToAny

View My Stats!

View My Stats

Pageviews past week

SNIPPET_HTML_V2.TXT
Tweet